Friday, January 1, 2010

Kauai Yummies

MOH (My Other Half) and I just returned from a week on the island of Kauai. It was my first time there, and hopefully not my last! Besides lounging on the beach for a week with the latest Stephen King novel, Under the Dome, I also spent time discovering some delicious local treats. Here are my top three favorites.

The Puka Dog
The Puka Dog is the most delicious hotdog creation I’ve ever had - sorry Hillbilly Hotdogs! We found the little stand on our first morning when we went to breakfast. Here is their menu:



They poke a hole in the bun, not all the way through, just enough to hold all the wonderfulness you can handle. They then insert the sausage and all of the toppings. It’s warm and wonderful and just ding-dang-dog delicious! It’s truly a little pocket of Heaven. I strongly recommend the polish sausage with the hot chili pepper sauce, the pineapple relish, and the Lilikoi mustard. I had two during our trip. MOH’s favorite was the polish sausage with the hot hot habanero sauce, the mango relish, and the Lilikoi mustard (you MUST have the Lilikoi mustard!). He had four of these. I’m still kicking myself for not bringing home some of the mustard, but I suppose it just wouldn’t be the same. Behold the Puka Dog:



Ahi Poke
Ahi Poke is a tasty full-of-flavor sushi salad served on a bed of rice. MOH would sooner stick a chopstick in his eye than let a piece of raw fish pass through his lips, but I am a sushi fan! I paid about $3.50 for a little to-go container of this divine little treat. Besides the cubed raw Ahi, it had soy sauce, green onions, some dried seaweed, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and a hint of wasabi. I only had it once, and wish I had gone back for more. Maybe I’ll be daring and try to make some myself. MOH says my time would be better spent learning to make a Puka Dog.



The Loco Moco
I can only describe this as one of the greatest concoctions I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating. It’s a bowl of layered loveliness! One of the locals told us it was the best hangover cure around. Though I was very NOT hungover when I tried it, I can certainly see why it would be appealing the morning after having one too many. I also believe this can be easily replicated at home. The bottom layer is two scoops of sticky rice, on top of that is what tastes like Salisbury steak smothered in gravy (oooh graaavy), and finally topped with two eggs prepared any way you like. I mean just look at this.



It makes me drool just a little. Seriously. It’s all just so perfect together! Genius - there is nothing else to say.

We also attended the Smith Family Luau (yes, Smith – there’s a story there) and had some wonderful food. My memory is a bit marred, though. While standing in the buffet-style line a lizard that had been chilling on the ceiling fell on me and I just about peed myself. After doing what I’m sure was an extremely entertaining “get this reptile off me” dance it proceeded to crawl up another lady’s leg. Good times!

Bubba’s was also a treat! Good burgers and frings (a mixture of fries and onion rings). I love this sign.



I love to travel, and I love the food I get to experience. Kauai was a real food-tastic trip. We didn’t do any high-class dining, but we certainly discovered some beauties!

4 comments:

  1. Although I didn't try Bubba's, I agree on all other comments. I wish I'd eaten more Puka dogs and feel sure that I'll experience them again!
    I think you could definitely make the poke and the good thing is that since Mark won't eat it you don't have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, The most challenging thing about Hawaai is finding food that doesn't cater to the tourist and that is grossly overpriced. I love the local food of Hawaii - and I like to eat where the locals eat. However, I do like the fish tacos from Duke's and don't care houw touristy it is. I have several of the local places down in Ohau and Maui. Maybe the four of us should meet there for vacation one day! Jay is with Mark on the sushi, but I like sushi on occasion! So happy to read about your food adventures in Kauai! xo P.S. Now I am dying for a yummy hot dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follower from Jezebel here! This post has totally convinced me to take my celebratory "I earned my Master's Degree trip" to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fellow Jezzie - I HIGHLY recommend it! Congratualtions!! I'm one class away from my Master's. How good does if feel?????

    ReplyDelete